Home Blog Page 4874

NOTES FROM THE NASCAR NATION: Austin Dillon

Photo Credit: David Yeazell

From the very moment Richard Childress Racing (RCR) announced that driver Austin Dillon was moving up to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and would be in the No. 3 Chevrolet, the response was immediate among the NASCAR media and the fans of the sport.

When the official press conference was held last fall and the cover was removed from the No. 3, the pressure was on for young Austin Dillon. That was perfectly understandable and he expected it.

He also responded to the pressure in a very big way during the Friday, January 10th, NASCAR Preseason Thunder test at Daytona International Speedway. Dillon turned a practice lap of 195.109 mph. That effort placed him on top of a 41 car speed chart and that’s where he stayed throughout the practice session.

Everyone was watching. That No. 3 got a lot of Fox Sports 1 television time throughout the day and Dillon was highly sought after for interviews.

“I’m honored to be in the 3,” said Dillon, adding, “this is special and walking into this (NASCAR Sprint) Cup garage this weekend is pretty cool. There are so many heroes in this garage for me, and just being in this garage is going to be pressure.”

That black No. 3 RCR Chevrolet is, of course, forever linked to the late Dale Earnhardt Sr. who won nearly all of his seven NASCAR championships in that ride. It was also that same black No. 3 that elevated Richard Childress to team owner super status. That alone has created a lot of reverence towards that particular car and number.

All throughout the 2013 NASCAR season, there was a lot of speculation that said Childress was seriously considering the return of the iconic No. 3 Chevrolet.

Some of the immediate fan reaction praised the resurrection of the return of a car, number and paint job that created so much racing history. Some said NASCAR should have officially retired the number, following Earnhardt’s tragic death back in 2001. Still others said what’s the big deal? It’s only a number. These are all valid points.

You also have to consider the thought that there are two additional big winners, besides Dillon and Childress, connected to the return of the No. 3. That would be the team’s primary sponsors, Dow Chemicals and Cheerios.

That fact was evident based on the large number of live television shots of the No. 3 during the Daytona test session. Dillon and his No. 3 Chevrolet clearly will be generating a lot of attention all through 2014 and that’s going to translate into some huge publicity numbers for any company that has its logo on the car. In fact, it’s safe to say that the last time any driver and car generated this much attention was the arrival of Danica Patrick to NASCAR racing.

Despite all of this attention and any sense of pressure that may come with it, Austin Dillon seems to be cool, calm and collected. He certainly proved it during the Daytona test.

We will all be watching this driver and team throughout the season and don’t be too surprised if some very impressive accomplishments comes early and often from Dillon and the return of the No. 3.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. shocked by Letarte’s decision, but understands reason

Photo Credit: David Yeazell

On Thursday, NASCAR Nation received what was a shock to many when it was announced that Steve Letarte will be stepping off the pit box in 2015.

Letarte, who has crew chiefed for Dale Earnhardt Jr. for the past four years, will become an analyst for NBC Sports in 2015. He will join Rick Allen and Jeff Burton in the booth for the second half of the schedule.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. says it’s a unique situation, though he knew Letarte’s decision when they left Homestead-Miami Speedway after the final race of the 2013 season.

“He actually included me in on the discussion before the end of last year and I had a pretty good understanding, whether he knew or not, what he was going to do,” Earnhardt Jr. said.

Earnhardt Jr. added that it’s a tough situation because the pair are good friends and Earnhardt enjoys working with him but understands it will give Letarte the ability to spend more time with his two children.

“It’s something that’s really important to him and the way these races are broadcast and how they’re presented to the fans is a big part of how the sport remains healthy and I think that he’s going to be incredible in that role. I think that he’ll — I think that he’ll be really good,” Earnhardt Jr. commented. “I’m excited for him because I know he’s really looking forward to it. You can tell when he talks about it how genuinely enthused he is about the opportunity.”

Earnhardt said he first caught wind of a rumor surrounding it in October at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

“The rumors were kind of sketchy and unclear and I didn’t know the specifics of what he was thinking about doing; just that he would even want to do anything different blew me away because we were all having such a good time and the team was moving forward and the trajectory was great for what we were trying to accomplish. We were getting closer and closer to realizing our potential,” he said.

“So yeah, it was a huge shock at first, and the more — just for me personally, it was difficult. And the more I sat down with him and talked about it, the more it made sense and the more I understood his situation and I could put my own selfishness aside and kind of understand what was important to him and how this was good for him.”

“You know, he’s a good guy. He deserves these opportunities and he’s earned it.”

Even with the announcement made, the focus remains the same for 2014 as the pair will look to win a championship together. Earnhardt Jr. knows that Letarte will be dedicated to the team as he has been in the past and expects them to have a better year this year than last year. The pair had their best season together last year – scoring 10 top fives and 22 top 10s in the 36 races.

“It’s definitely going to be emotional and difficult at times, just because we really enjoy working together,” Earnhardt added. “But I’m excited about the year. I’m excited about our chances as a team. We’ve got a great group of guys. Steve is a great crew chief that’s going to get us a good opportunity to try to win some races.”

“And I think that the team, just based on the personalities and how well we all get along and mesh and how much fun we really had last year, I think that everybody can buckle down and do their jobs and I think we can do well.”

In the years that the pair have worked together, Earnhardt says he has learned a lot from Letarte as he has changed him as a racecar driver and helped on the confidence level.

“I think I can carry that with me, what I’ve learned about myself and what I’ve learned about the job and what my job is and what my responsibility is to Steve and the crew chief,” the 39-year-old commented. “I think I can carry that with me – hopefully I can at this age. Hopefully I’ve learned something and learned enough to do a better job for the next guy.”

One of the lessons that Earnhardt learned was how to be more professional behind the wheel in handling his responsibilities and communicating with the team.

“That was a bit of a problem for me when I was younger,” he added. “I’d kind of lose it behind the wheel every once in a while and argue and fight. We definitely have moved quite a ways away from that. There’s part of me that’s kind of ready to accept the challenge and see how the change affects the team and how — it’s great that we’ve got a year to figure it out and find out who can come in there and take his place.”

Earnhardt admits, though, that part of him is afraid that they won’t be able to replace Letarte.

“It’s a guy that’s going to be hard to replace,” he said. “I’m not worried about the specific qualities that Steve has, but just will we be able to get a guy in there of equal talent, and how well will we be able to make that transition seamless. It’s going to be a real challenge to do that, and I guess that’s my only concern.”

Though when it comes to finding a new crew chief, Earnhardt says he is going to leave that up to Rick Hendrick and Hendrick Motorsports GM Doug Duchardt. He added that he would also like Jimmie Johnson’s crew chief Chad Knaus and Letarte to have a say in the choice, as well.

“I think that Steve knows what makes this team work,” Earnhardt said. “Steve knows how I can be successful and how the individuals within the team can be successful. I think he’d be a good guy to sort of pick at and hope that Doug and Rick would include him in that conversation at times.

“I think it’s important that Chad has got a lot of influence because he knows how well the shop works together and what the culture is in the shop and how a guy, a particular guy, may mesh in that environment.

“But I don’t really want to have any influence on the choice. I want — I think that those guys are the ones that can make the choice and have the most success with that decision. I’ll just kind of — it was Rick and upper management that decided to put me with Steve. I didn’t know how that was going to work out. I didn’t know much about Steve. I knew him and Jeff were not really clicking at that point in time in their careers, so I didn’t know exactly what was going to happen, but I just wanted to trust their judgment, and that’s what I’m going to do.”

 

NOTES FROM THE NASCAR NATION: Steve Letarte

There was a lot of genuine excitement associated with the opening day of NASCAR’s 2014 Pre-Season Thunder tests at Daytona International Speedway. That was largely due to the fact that it meant the new NASCAR racing season had finally arrived.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans and washed out the day’s schedule. Air Titan, NASCAR’s sophisticated track drying machine, topped the speed charts for the day.

However, that did not mean there weren’t plenty of news stories coming from Daytona including this “Must See TV” bombshell.

It’s now been confirmed that Steve Letarte, the crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr’s No.88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, will be departing at the end of the 2014 season and will join the NBC Sports NASCAR broadcast team next year.

An official press release from NBC Sports this morning offered some additional details:

The announcement was made today by Sam Flood, Executive Producer, NBC Sports and NBCSN. ” I’ ve always been impressed with Steve Letarte’ s interviews, and feel smarter after hearing him break down the crucial elements of each race”, said Flood. “It wasn ‘t long into our first meeting about this potential role on our broadcast team when I realized that Steve is going to be Must See TV. ”

Letarte will join fellow analyst Jeff Burton and race announcer Rick Allen across NBC Sports Group s exclusive coverage of NASCAR s Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series action on NBC and NBCSN, which includes races, pre- and post-race shows, qualifying, and studio programming.

This surprise announcement comes at a point in time when NASCAR observers felt the combination of Earnhardt and Letarte was moving in a very positive direction with many feeling they were going to be serious race winning, championship contenders this year. That theory still rings true despite the fact that this will Letarte’s final season with the team.

This morning team owner Rick Hendrick issued the following statement:

“You never want to see a talented and all-around quality person like Steve (Letarte) move on, but we understand this is an exciting opportunity for him and his family. He has all the tools to be a terrific broadcaster, and I know our fans will enjoy hearing his perspective.”

“We’re looking forward to a successful year in 2014 with Steve and Dale (Earnhardt Jr.) leading the #88 together. They have some of the best chemistry in the garage, and we know they’ll build on last season and continue to be a championship-contending team. We don’t expect to address the crew chief position until after the season. Everyone with the team is focused on 2014 and committed to having another great year.”