Home Blog Page 5927

What It Was, Wasn’t Racing – Part Deux

[media-credit name=”Credit: Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images” align=”alignright” width=”225″][/media-credit]Restrictor plate racing is not racing. You have read it here from me for a long time, but rarely do we hear it from the competitors. Often, we hear lots of non-comments from the drivers which usually consist of utterings like, “that’s Talladega” or “this is the way it is.” That wasn’t so on this weekend. The family that is NASCAR had already seen Eric McClure go head on into a wall and get helicoptered to a hospital. And then the last third of the Aaron’s 499 became a mockery of what NASCAR racing has been and further proof that there is just something wrong here.

It was not surprising that Mark Martin did not enter this race. He has quietly expressed his displeasure with this type of racing. There are several others, but it’s a fact of life that if you want to compete for the Sprint Cup Championship, you have to race at Daytona and Talladega. Luckily for him, Martin isn’t interested in that anymore, even though he came so close so many times, He was hosting his fan appreciation event in Arkansas, but what of those participating?

Jeff Gordon, who retired his car early, had a gripe about the overheating that was the rule in the race. This was an attempt by NASCAR to break up the two car tandems and go back to pack racing, which fans said they preferred. He said NASCAR should look at that. We’ll see. But the most interesting comments came from Sprint Cup Champ Tony Stewart. His press conference had to be the most unusual I’ve ever witnessed. He said (paraphrasing here) that there were not enough cars wrecked during the race and that the race should be extended if half the cars had not been wrecked. Further, he said that a figure-eight change to Talladega SuperSpeedway might be in order to assure that enough wrecks happened to please the fans.

Tony probably had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, but the point was well taken. Ever since Bobby Allison got lifted into the fence at Talladega, restrictor plates have been the rule and I don’t see anything to change that now. Never mind that there might be solutions other than restrictor plates to the problem, this is what we have to deal with. Drivers hate these races, more Talladega than Daytona, but it matters not. This is what we have to deal with.

Restrictor plate racing gives the fans an unnatural atmosphere. Racing has its good cars and it’s bad. In a perfect world, the good cars go to the front and the bad cars don’t. Daytona and Talladega lets everyone play. It doesn’t matter if you are good or bad, you can win. It’s a noble idea. Just ask David Ragan, a guy who doesn’t have a chance at most tracks, but was in the mix for the win Sunday. Of course he had a big time ride last year and nearly won at both Daytona and Talladega, but this year, he’s driving for the underfunded Front Row Racing team, and yet he was up front and looking good because of his skill.

I agree with the champ. We have tried to make NASCAR like football, basketball, and baseball. It’s just cannot be done. Racing is racing and has nothing to do with sticks and balls. Despite all the changes, and by that I mean the Lucky Dog, wave around, and double file restarts, attendance continues to decline and TV rating continue to do the same. Maybe it’s time to make some real changes at Daytona and Talladega and look at what we aren’t. We aren’t football, basketball, and baseball. Recent surveys indicate that folks hate the Chase—about 75% of them. Maybe it’s time to go back to racing, No contrived rules (and that includes restrictor plates—find a real solution) and the realization that we are different from the other sports. It’s a unique perspective, I know, and one I don’t ever expect anyone to endorse, but I can dream.

Both Penske Nationwide Crew Chiefs Placed on Probation and Fined

[media-credit name=”Brad Keppel” align=”alignright” width=”225″][/media-credit]As a result of illegal upper bumper covers on their cars at Talladega Superspeedway, Jeremy Bullins (No. 22) and Chad Walter (No. 12) have been placed on probation till December 31 and fined $10,000 by NASCAR. Additionally, car chiefs Thomas Clavette (No. 22) and Raymond Fox (No. 12) – have been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

During opening inspection at Talladega SuperSpeedway, both Penske Racing teams were asked to replace their upper front bumper covers. These covers are supplied by the manufacture and NASCAR has said that they would like the bumper covers to not be altered in any form.

As stated in section 20A-3.10A of the rule book, “front upper bumper cover must be from the respective OEM manufacturer and must be approved by NASCAR. The front lower bumper cover and rear bumper cover must be from an approved manufacturer and must be approved by NASCAR. Once approved, the front lower bumper covers may be used on all approved models. NASCAR officials may use bumper covers provided by the respective manufacturer as a guide in determining whether a competitor’s bumper cover conforms to the specifications of the NASCAR rule book. Unless otherwise authorized by the series director, cutting and reshaping of bumper covers will not be permitted.”

The previous weekend at Richmond International Raceway, NASCAR confiscated the bumper covers from all three Richard Childress Racing cars and all three Turner Motorsports cars. Those bumper covers all had the ridge by the wheel well removed by either sanding or using bondo.

All six teams had their crew chief fined $10,000 with the crew chief and car chief from each team on probation for the rest of the year.

Rumor had it that harsh penalties were not given because of the questions surrounding the technical process.

Elliott Sadler stated that the front bumper passed technical inspection in NASCAR’s research and development center twice after winning races this year and had gotten its sticker for passing inspection at Richmond before being asked to have it removed. Since the penalties, Sadler has said that his team has redone their wheel wells for coming races, including this weekend at Talladega, to match the rules.

NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said last Tuesday that harsher penalties were not issued because teams are still learning about the new car.

“Cup is different than Nationwide and there is a scale there and with this car, we’ve worked through issues with teams and clarifying different things,” Pemberton said. “We felt like we’re still early in the process. We just barely started our second year with the car and we continue to try to do the right things for the particular garages. … We felt that penalty was best suited for those infractions.”

However, harsher penalties are expected down the road as teams learn the cars more.

“There will come a time when we’re done with the schooling process and we’ll move forward like we have in the past,” he said. “It was a big undertaking for those folks over the last 18 months or so to do all of this stuff, and we still feel like it’s best for us to work with them the best that we can.”

Two NASCAR Nationwide Series Crew Chiefs Fined; Crew Chiefs, Car Chiefs Placed On Probation For Infractions At Talladega Superspeedway

[media-credit name=”nascar.com” align=”alignright” width=”228″][/media-credit]DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (May 8, 2012) – NASCAR announced today that two NASCAR Nationwide Series crew chiefs had been fined and placed on probation for violations during this past weekend’s event at Talladega Superspeedway. In addition, the teams’ respective car chiefs have also been placed on probation for the remainder of the year.

Crew chiefs Jeremy Bullins (No. 22 team) and Chad Walter (No. 12 team) have each been fined $10,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31. Additionally, the teams’ respective car chiefs – Thomas Clavette (No. 22) and Raymond Fox (No. 12) – have been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

The rules violations referred to Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that the race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20-A of the rule book); 20A-2.1E (streamlining of the contours of the car, beyond what is approved by the series director will not be permitted. Installation of air directional devices, underpans, baffles, shields or the like beneath the car or the car’s hood and fender area, front firewall, floor, rear firewall area, rear deck and quarter panel will not be permitted. If, in the judgment of NASCAR officials, any part or component of the car not previously approved by NASCAR has been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance, will not be permitted. All cars must remain standard in appearance); 20A-3.10A (front upper bumper cover must be from the respective OEM manufacturer and must be approved by NASCAR. The front lower bumper cover and rear bumper cover must be from an approved manufacturer and must be approved by NASCAR. Once approved, the front lower bumper covers may be used on all approved models. NASCAR officials may use bumper covers provided by the respective manufacturer as a guide in determining whether a competitor’s bumper cover conforms to the specifications of the NASCAR rule book. Unless otherwise authorized by the series director, cutting and reshaping of bumper covers will not be permitted.)

The infractions were discovered during opening day inspection on May 3.