Who will Kenseth drive for in 2013?

The 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup season will be the first time that Matt Kenseth is not driving for Roush Fenway Racing (RFR).  It was announced earlier this week that Kenseth will be leaving RFR at the end of the season and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will be replacing him in 2013.

Kenseth has 452 career starts, 22 wins and one championship in 14 seasons.

“I’m very thankful to Jack Roush for the opportunities he’s given me over the past 14 years. Together we have enjoyed a lot of success.” Kenseth tweeted on Tuesday.

“Once its reality and you’ve been somewhere for that long and you walk in that place and you feel like it’s your own and all that stuff.  It’s weird when you start thinking about after the first of the year, you won’t be there anymore.” Kenseth said.

Speculation is that he is headed to Joe Gibbs Racing, either in Joey Logano’s No. 20 Toyota or a fourth unannounced team.  Kenseth admits that he has a new deal already in place for 2013.

Hopefully the team will have full sponsorship and Kenseth will be able to showcase his talent were it belongs, which is the top-10 in the series points standings. Kenseth currently sits first in series standings and I am sure his thoughts are on the championship at the end of the season.

“The No. 17 is positioned extremely well this season and I’m committed to providing the team the best resources to continue their run for the 2012 championship.” Team owner Jack Roush said. “I have no doubt that Matt will do his part.”

There is no explanation why RFR and Kenseth ended there relationship together. For Kenseth I am sure it will feel very strange to drive for another team and a different car.

“I don’t think either one of us expected it, I think both of us expected I would retire driving for him and driving the 17 car.” Kenseth said.

Are you a die-hard NASCAR fan? Follow every lap, every pit stop, every storyline? We're looking for fellow enthusiasts to share insights, race recaps, hot takes, or behind-the-scenes knowledge with our readers. Click Here to apply!

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of SpeedwayMedia.com

3 COMMENTS

  1. Keep hearing speculation about Kenseth going to Joe Gibbs and today heard that he might be headed to a Richard Petty Motorsports DODGE. Watch him surprise us by taking over Jeff Burton’s ride at Richard Childress or something off the wall like that.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest articles

Sheldon Creed capitalizes for first O’Reilly career victory at Atlanta

The 2020 Truck Series champion from Alpine, California, led 17 of 163-scheduled laps and capitalized on a last-lap incident involving Austin Hill and Ross Chastain to achieve his first elusive career victory after 15 runner-up results.

TOYOTA RACING – NOAPS Atlanta Post-Race Report – 02.21.26

Taylor Gray (ninth), Brandon Jones (10th) and Dean Thompson (11th) led Toyota with strong finishes in the second race of the NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series season at EchoPark Speedway.

Ford Racing Notes and Quotes – Nick Sanchez Drivers To Third-Place Finish in NOAPS...

NICK SANCHEZ, No. 25 Paynuity/Travel Curious Ford Mustang Dark Horse – YOU DIDN’T HAVE ANY FRIENDS UP THERE, SO HOW DID YOU FINISH THIRD?

Spire Motorsports Fr8 Racing 208 Race Report

Kyle Busch earned his 68th victory in 181 NASCAR CRAFTSMAN Truck Series races in Saturday's Fr8 Racing 208 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Best New Zealand Online Casinos