More SAFER Barriers is Not Enough

Following Saturday’s accident at Daytona International Speedway that resulted in an injured Kyle Busch, officials announced that the track would be covering each wall with SAFER barriers to protect the drivers. Since then, other tracks including Kentucky Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway have come out to share they will be adding more SAFER barriers to their tracks.

More is not enough.

The thought is there, the effort is there, but it is just not enough.

SAFER barriers, the name given to the steel-and-foam-energy reduction barriers that protect drivers from hitting solid concrete walls at speeds reaching up to almost 200 miles per hour, have saved countless drivers from injuries or death.

Over the years, as tracks have installed the barriers, many walls have been left out due to the excuse of certain walls being less likely to be hit. This is simply not the case. If there is a wall, no matter how far away or oddly placed it may be, a car will find it.

The number one reason many tracks leave parts of walls unprotected is due to the cost. The track officials will protect high-speed, high-risk areas first and follow up with the areas they believe to be less likely to be hit later as the funding comes in.

Daytona International Speedway president Joie Chitwood III says this is not an excuse.

“We really can’t look at financials as the reason for this,” he said.

Money does not outweigh safety in Chitwood’s eyes. “We’ve got to have a venue where we can put on NASCAR racing and have the competitors be safe.”

NASCAR executive vice president Steve O’Donnell agrees with these statements and says officials will have talks with tracks on making each property safer.

“We will accelerate those talks with the tracks,” O’Donnell said, “We want this sport to be as safe as possible for not only our drivers, but everyone who participates in the sport and the race fans as well.”

While we can thank tracks for putting forth the effort as they look to place ‘more’ SAFER barriers on their properties, we simply cannot commend them until one hundred percent of each track is protected by SAFER barriers, giving each driver the protection they deserve.

Are you a die-hard NASCAR fan? Follow every lap, every pit stop, every storyline? We're looking for fellow enthusiasts to share insights, race recaps, hot takes, or behind-the-scenes knowledge with our readers. Click Here to apply!

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of SpeedwayMedia.com

2 COMMENTS

  1. Before the accident on Saturday Camille, where were your posts calling for enhanced barriers at NASCAR tracks? In fact, where were posts from 100’s of other columnists on the same issue. My point should be obvious but to ‘pile on’ after an accidental incident is simple. Try bringing up situations that need changing before an accident occurs.

    • I’ve believed for the longest time that all tracks should be 100% covered in SAFER barriers. I relate this situation back to 2001 when Dale Earnhardt passed away and suddenly changes began to happen. In a sport that feels as “comfortable” as NASCAR has become, it seems as though it takes a major accident for changes to be made. One can also relate it to when the gate broke at Daytona in the Larson incident in NNS. Changes followed that as well. It is sad that we must wait for a major accident to occur for tracks to understand the severity of what can happen, but in a world where tracks seem to believe fancy grandstands and concourses are of upmost importance, seems as though safety takes the back burner if they feel it isn’t the number one priority on certain issues.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest articles

Kyle Busch edges Carson Hocevar to win time-shortened race at EchoPark

The race saw a thrilling conclusion to the time shortened race with Kyle Busch picking up his 68th career victory.

2026 Niece Motorsports NCTS Race Recap: Echo Park Speedway

The No. 45 took the lead with just a handful of laps to go, but lacked help in the draft to capitalize. The team took home a ninth-place finish and notched their second top-10 in a row.

Busch makes it three straight in Fr8 Racing 208 at EchoPark Speedway

Kyle Busch added another chapter to his dominance in the Fr8 Racing 208 on Saturday afternoon at EchoPark Speedway.

Rhodes Leads Three F-150s in Top 10 with Fourth Place Truck Series Run

BEN RHODES, No. 99 Campers Inn RV Ford F-150 – “This F-150 had a lot of speed. It’s a shame because we had Camper Inn here and some TYM folks, so I wanted to get them to Victory Lane on my birthday."

Best New Zealand Online Casinos