Earns First Victory In Canadian Tire Series’ First Caution-Free Race
MIRABEL, Que. (July 5, 2015) – Making history is the current theme for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1.
The series contested its milestone 100th all-time race on June 13 and the following week saw Alex Tagliani lap the field in victory – a series first. Sunday saw Quebec native Kevin Lacroix dominate the first-caution free race in Canadian Tire Series history and triumph in the Ecko Unlimited 100 at Circuit ICAR.
Lacroix, from St-Eustache, reached Victory Lane in just his second Canadian Tire Series start. To do it, he beat two fellow Quebec racing icons in Andrew Ranger and Tagliani.
The 26-year-old Lacroix started from the fourth position in his No. 74 Lacroix Tuning/Excellence Chrysler Dodge on Sunday and made a quick move to the front as he took the lead from three-time defending ICAR winner Ranger on the second circuit. While Lacroix held a comfortable advantage throughout the 30-lap event, Ranger made a valiant run at the end only to end up 0.896 behind at the finish.
Lacroix made his series debut in the 2015 season-opener at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and finished 26th.
Tagliani, the polesitter, crossed the finish line third after battling power steering issues. Defending series champion L.P. Dumoulin finished fourth and Scott Steckly fifth. Alex Labbe, Marc-Antoine Camirand, Gary Klutt, D.J. Kennington and Jeff Lapcevich rounded out the top 10.
Championship leader Jason Hathaway finished 11th and leaves ICAR with a one-point advantage (159-158) on Klutt after four of 11 events.
Sunday’s Ecko Unlimited 100 telecast will premiere on TSN on July 11 at 1 p.m., and on RDS2 on July 25 at 2 p.m.
The Canadian Tire Series will begin its annual western swing with the Alberta Has Energy 300 on July 11 at Edmonton International Raceway in Wetaskiwin, Alberta.
NASCAR Canadian Tire Series pres. by Mobil 1-Ecko Unlimited 100 Results
At Circuit ICAR
Lap length: 2.113 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (4) Kevin Lacroix, Saint-Eustache, Que., Dodge, 30 laps, 77.410 mph.
- (2) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 30.
- (1) Alex Tagliani, Lachenaie, Que., Chevrolet, 30.
- (6) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 30.
- (7) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 30.
- (9) Alex Labbe, Victoriaville, Que., Dodge, 30.
- (8) Marc-Antoine Camirand, Saint-Leonard-d’Aston, Que., Chevrolet, 30.
- (5) Gary Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Chevrolet, 30.
- (11) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 30.
- (12) Jeff Lapcevich, Ancaster, Ont., Dodge, 30.
- (19) Jason Hathaway, St. Thomas, Ont., Chevrolet, 30.
- (17) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Ford, 30.
- (18) Matthew Scannell, Rockwood, Ont., Dodge, 30.
- (13) J.F. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 30.
- (10) Kerry Micks, Mount Albert, Ont., Ford, 30.
- (20) Dave Coursol, Saint-Jerome, Que., Dodge, 30.
- (21) Simon Dion-Viens, Saint-Joseph-de-Kamouraska, Que., Dodge, 29.
- (22) Ray Courtemanche Jr., Montreal, Que., Dodge, 29.
- (16) Patrice Brisebois, Westmount, Que., Dodge, 29.
- (23) Erica Thiering, Sherwood Park, Alta., Ford, 28.
- (15) Trevor Seibert, Williams Lake, B.C., Chevrolet, 27, off track.
- (3) Elie Arseneau, Laval, Que., Dodge, 16, rear end.
- (14) Anthony Simone, Aurora, Ont., Dodge, 11, rear end.
Time of Race: 0 hours 49 minutes 8 seconds
Margin of Victory: .869 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: A.Tagliani (78.956 mph, 96.342 seconds)
Caution Flags: 0 for 0 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Tagliani 1-2; K. Lacroix 3-30.
Standings: 1. J. Hathaway, 159; 2. G. Klutt, 158; 3. S. Steckly, 151; 4. L. Dumoulin,
147; 5. D. Kennington, 145; 6. A. Ranger, 142; 7. J. Dumoulin, 140; 8. A. Labbe, 135; 9.
- Tagliani, 129; 10. M. Camirand, 127.