RCR Event Preview – Talladega Superspeedway

Richard Childress Racing’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series history at Talladega Superspeedway … Richard Childress began his driving career at Talladega Superspeedway in 1969 and is in a tie for the most all-time car owner victories at the storied Alabama-based race track with 12 wins. Dale Earnhardt visited Victory Lane nine times, while Kevin Harvick and Clint Bowyer swept the 2010 events at the 2.66-mile superspeedway. Bowyer added to the Welcome, N.C.-based organization’s total by claiming RCR’s 100th Cup Series win when NASCAR’s senior series visited the facility in October 2011. In 174 starts, RCR also has four pole awards, 42 top-five, 70 top-10 finishes and has led 1,843 laps of competition

RCR in the MENCS … In 2,907 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts dating back to 1969, RCR has amassed 48 pole awards,108 wins, 488 top-five finishes and 1,064 top-10 finishes, with an average starting position of 17.8 and an average finishing position of 16.2. RCR has earned 15 total championships (six Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championships with Earnhardt in 1986, ’87, ’90, ’91, ’93 and ’94, six NASCAR Xfinity Series titles, two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series titles and one ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards title) and was the first organization to win titles in NASCAR’s three national series.

Interactive RCR … For up-to-date news and exclusive content, visit RCR’s corporate Twitter page – @RCRracing – along with the RCR Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series team Twitter page – @RCRCup, and driver Twitter pages @austindillon3 and @RyanJNewman. Information about the 15-time championship winning organization can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RichardChildressRacing and at www.RCRracing.com along with official driver pages – http://www.facebook.com/austindillon3 and www.facebook.com/RyanNewmanNASCAR.

Catch the Action … The 1000Bulbs.com 500 at Talladega Superspeedway will be televised live Sunday, October 14 beginning at 2 p.m. ET on NBC and will be broadcast live on the Motor Racing Network and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.


This Week’s American Ethanol Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 at Talladega Superspeedway … In 10 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at Talladega, Dillon earned his best finish at the 2.66-mile track in April 2016 when he finished third after making 17 pit stops and driving through the field with a battered race car. His best finish in four NASCAR Xfinity Series Starts is also third. He has two starts in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, earning a best finish of seventh in October 2011.

E15: Fueling Sunday Drives Everywhere … Whether Austin is racing on Sunoco Green E15 or fueling up his truck to go to dinner, E15 is always powering his Sunday drives. E15 gives all drivers an engine smart, earth kind fuel option. It delivers higher octane and burns cleaner, plus it’s the most tested fuel ever. American drivers have surpassed more than 3 billion miles on it. Find out how E15 can fuel your Sunday drives too at GetBiofuel.com.

Meet Dillon … Dillon is scheduled to participate in a Q&A session at the Team Chevrolet Stage at Talladega Superspeedway in the fan midway at 9:45 a.m. on Sunday.

Talk about racing at Talladega Superspeedway. There is a certain amount of unpredictability at Talladega, isn’t there?
You can do certain things throughout that race to put yourself in a better position, but it’s one of those tracks you go into knowing that there’s probably a 75 percent chance that you could be in a wreck. You have to take that 25 percent and make it you. It’s a chest match being out there and seeing guys doing things that you probably don’t want to be around. You can get out of that area, and back out, or try and get ahead of it. You just don’t want to be behind the mistake. Sometimes it can catch you when you are in front of it. You can be in front of the wreck and it can catch up to you. That’s the crazy thing about speedway racing. The rule is your never in a completely safe position but you have to play the percentages to your advantage.


This Week’s Liberty National Camaro ZL1 at Talladega Superspeedway … Ryan Newman will make his 615th Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series start when he competes at the final restrictor-plate race of the season at Talladega Superspeedway. In total, he owns six top-five and 13 top-10 finishes in 33 starts. The South Bend, Indiana native has an average start of 14.5 and average finish of 19.4. His best start of second came in the fall of 2012, while his best finish of second took place in the fall of last season in the Caterpillar Chevrolet. When it comes to championship points in the last 10 events at Talladega, Newman ranks seventh in most points earned.

Pink for a Purpose … Ryan Newman will be driving the Liberty National No. 31 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 with a special pink paint scheme in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month. Liberty National is a supporter of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and offers supplemental cancer insurance policies to help protect families against the financial hardship that may accompany a cancer diagnosis. Visit www.LibertyNational.com for more information on our products and careers with Liberty National.

What is the key to success at Talladega Superspeedway?
“It’s all about being lucky. Talladega is all about luck and being at the right place at the right time and not making mistakes. It’s such a crap shoot. Everybody has to be able to do their job like every other track we go to, but it seems like the margin of any kind of advantage is so small there that it takes a lot of them to add up to be good and you are better off sometimes being lucky.”

How hard is it to miss the “Big One?”
“It’s not hard to miss the “Big One.” It’s hard to miss the “Big One” and still try to win the race. I am usually one of the guys who ride around in the back. We might every once in a while, get a little fender damage or something like that but we aren’t upside down and on the wrecker. That’s been my strategy or theory on the matter the last few times. It’s been good for us from a point’s standpoint, but obviously we haven’t won a race. We’ve been close a few years ago in the fall, but most times those guys are racing pretty crazy to transfer into the next round in the Chase or get a bye and we were safely in on points. We opted to not get all crazy. It was the right thing to do for this team.”

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of SpeedwayMedia.com


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Best New Zealand Online Casinos

RacingJunk.com and Leaf Racewear Safety Equipment Giveaway

Rocketplay Casino

10 deposit casinos

Best Betting Sites in Canada

Latest articles